
I took attendance and proceeded to go around the classroom to check the homework. The homework was an essay assignment that they had the entire weekend to finish. I went to the first student and Sally handed me her piece of paper. I went to Gloria next, no homework. Amy, no homework. Joo Young, no homework. Three in a row, that was a bad sign but I still had hope. By the time I had made my way to the back of the class I still had only one essay in my hand. I was flabbergasted. They, in their silence and I'm sorry eyes had awakened my anger and fury. Jennifer, no homework. Momo, no homework. Justin, no homework. The anger continued to rise. I stopped to make a statement to remind them that homework is part of their class participation grade and that they had an entire weekend to finish the assignment. They sensed that I was upset. But every child after Justin, would give me a quick, embarrassed smile and avert my gaze. Sorry, no homework. I made my way to the front of the class and slowly put my folder on the podium. I gave a long, dramatic sigh before I proceeded to give them my controlled but stern speech of disapproval.
"I am incredibly disappointed with all but ONE of you. None of you have shared with me any reason for why you could not or did not finish the assignment so I am assuming that most of you just didn't do it. I am upset that most of the students in this class do not take the homework assignments seriously and that I've collected only one essay from this entire class! Writing is an incredibly important part of learning and practicing English; it is crucial that each and everyone of you take the time to do your essay homework!"
I was so angry and upset. Honestly, I was. I was flying off the handle. But at the same time I couldn't help but to laugh at how silly and ineffective and boring it was to yell at them about it. I was bored listening to myself. But after a while they were getting it. It was like yelling at a puppy for peeing on the hardwood floor and seeing the puppy recognizing his mistake, feeling the shame and embarrassment for the first time. It was there in their eyes. And in that moment they all looked so small and precious. They looked so adorable. Tiny and innocent. Even though I was still yelling the anger subsided as quickly as it had risen. A smile crept across my face and the students who noticed started to giggle. With the kids giggling at me I couldn't hold it in any longer so I started to laugh too. By the end of it all we were all just laughing. Laughing and laughing at nothing in particular and everything in general.