Even through the blistering 110 degree days and the grueling seven hour work schedules, we're back with great testimonies about what God did through W
orld Changers this past week. 1 Peter says it perfectly, rejoice that we are participating in the sufferings of Christ. I think "MISSIONS" was redefined by the the simplicity and practicality of our tasks last week. We didn't have to go overseas to evangelize, for those five days we were the hands and feet of the Church; a body of believers moving through Clovis, CA restoring homes, neighborhoods and communities one broken picket fence at a time.
The majority of the teams repainted homes or rebuilt fences for needy families or homeowners in the city who, for various physical or financial reasons, couldn't afford to make those home improvements themselves. That's when World Changers, an organization that gathers youth groups from all over the States steps in to match a team of workers to each home chosen for miscellaneous repairs and r
enovations. World Changers is very particular about the families they choose and are also very prayerful about how they organize the teams going to each house.
I was part of the group Shingle Bells and our team of college students renovated Gary Greene's 40 year old roof! Roofing is the most physically demanding project and becauseyou are on the roof for the majority of the day, it means you will be working in excruciatingly hot temperatures (esp if the average for the day is 107 degrees!). The project itself was quite a daunting task for me, I had no recollection of ever hammering a nail but by tuesday afternoon I had hammered so many that my right arm felt like it was going to fall off and die. I was physically exhausted and personally discouraged by how little this missions trip seemed to
resemble the "spiritual" missions experience I had in the past and ultimately what I had come to expect.. I really questioned the motivations of my heart..the attitude of my service...if I was laboring in love and in faith.
Ironically, I was the Crew Encourager on my team which, though pretty self-explanatory, means I was the spiritual assistant of the Crew Chief. I (was suppose to) initiate prayer times, uplift tired and weary spirits, keep the morale high and motivate my team members to finish the project. Ironic that in my time of weariness and discouragement I had to encourage others in my words and deeds.

orld Changers this past week. 1 Peter says it perfectly, rejoice that we are participating in the sufferings of Christ. I think "MISSIONS" was redefined by the the simplicity and practicality of our tasks last week. We didn't have to go overseas to evangelize, for those five days we were the hands and feet of the Church; a body of believers moving through Clovis, CA restoring homes, neighborhoods and communities one broken picket fence at a time.The majority of the teams repainted homes or rebuilt fences for needy families or homeowners in the city who, for various physical or financial reasons, couldn't afford to make those home improvements themselves. That's when World Changers, an organization that gathers youth groups from all over the States steps in to match a team of workers to each home chosen for miscellaneous repairs and r
enovations. World Changers is very particular about the families they choose and are also very prayerful about how they organize the teams going to each house.I was part of the group Shingle Bells and our team of college students renovated Gary Greene's 40 year old roof! Roofing is the most physically demanding project and becauseyou are on the roof for the majority of the day, it means you will be working in excruciatingly hot temperatures (esp if the average for the day is 107 degrees!). The project itself was quite a daunting task for me, I had no recollection of ever hammering a nail but by tuesday afternoon I had hammered so many that my right arm felt like it was going to fall off and die. I was physically exhausted and personally discouraged by how little this missions trip seemed to
resemble the "spiritual" missions experience I had in the past and ultimately what I had come to expect.. I really questioned the motivations of my heart..the attitude of my service...if I was laboring in love and in faith.Ironically, I was the Crew Encourager on my team which, though pretty self-explanatory, means I was the spiritual assistant of the Crew Chief. I (was suppose to) initiate prayer times, uplift tired and weary spirits, keep the morale high and motivate my team members to finish the project. Ironic that in my time of weariness and discouragement I had to encourage others in my words and deeds.

The answers for me came mid-way through the week on the wednesday night the youth group gathered together for prayer. Pastor Ho had asked the youth to share any praises they had and one by one the circle began to overflow with thanksgiving. Kids began to share thanksgiving for lessons of suffering and perseverance they were learning, reminders they had forgotten about sacrifice, relationships in the church that were being tested but strengthened through patience and forgiveness, shattered preconceptions about the Church and the Christ that loves the Church, etc. It was totally unexpected and completely heartfelt, genuine and pure...I was
blown away by their honesty and faith..soo moved to tears. I was and still am encouraged by how available and humble their hearts are for God. Humbling? Challenging? The trip was both entirely; the most challenging experiences in my life have humbled me the most, I think.