Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Martha Stewart's Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk cookies (yes, a very big mouthful literally) was one of the recipes I tried this past week. I made a few changes, didn't add in the oats and rather than the chocolate chunks, I opted for the original chocolate chips. The results were better than expected and I would definitely make them again. Pros: the cookies combined the soft consistency of banana bread with the traditional sweetness of chocolate chip cookies. the walnuts didn't overpower the different flavors either, they really added to the rich tastes. Cons: the recipes state that the cookies have to be eatten in the next two days. I'm assuming it's because the cookies have mashed bananas in them, but when I tried smelling them after I had left them in an airtight container for a few days, there was a definite stench.

I also tried to make Cream Puffs, this time following a Korean cook book recipe. After cooking the batter in the oven for 13-14 minutes I needed to be put the puffs into air tight, concealed plasticware to insure their inflated structures. The small breads are a really thin, light texture and when made correctly, naturally creates a hollow center to fill with cream. Needless to say, I completely forgot and the puffs all crumbled into these tiny, pathetic little mounds of soft looking dough. After they had completely cooled I took a bite and they tasted like soggy scrambled eggs. Pros: I had followed the cream recipe correctly. Cons: IT WAS AN EPIC FAIL.

I tried again the next morning, using the Korean cook book recipe for the cream filling and trying Martha Stewart's Cream Puffs with Lemon Mouse and Blueberry Sauce recipe for the puffs. The recipe says you'll make 10 puffs but I made about 25 with the batter. Also, the recipe says you should keep it in the oven for 35 minutes on 350 degrees, but I would say 20 minutes is plenty of time. Overall, the puffs rose perfectly and didn't collapse after they had cooled even without storing them in airtight containers. But the cream was just OK for me...I'm hoping to try Martha Stewart's cream recipe with heavy cream and pastry cream next time.